This exhilarating set of standards was conceived as a companion piece to Iverson’s Construction Zone (Originals) and was recorded during the same two-day session. Revealing their roots in jazz tradition, pianist Iverson and his trio mates Reid Anderson (bass) and Jorge Rossy (drums) bring wit and wisdom to great old songs such as “I’m Getting Sentimental Over You,” “The Song Is You,” and “I’ll Remember April.” Other highlights include a powerful solo piano rendition of “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes,” a moving version of the seldom-heard “This Nearly Was Mine” (from the show South Pacific), and rhythmically bizarre reworkings of “All of Me” and “Have You Met Miss Jones.” Anderson gets far more solo room this time around, which is a considerable bonus.
01. I’m Getting Sentimental over You (Bassman, Washington) 6:0202. The Song Is You (Hammerstein, Kern) 7:15
03. This Nearly Was Mine (Hammerstein, Rodgers) 5:43
04. All of Me (Marks, Simons) 3:30
05. I’ll Remember April (DePaul, Johnston, Raye) 6:33
06. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Harbach, Kern) 6:24
07. Have You Met Miss Jones? (Hart, Rodgers) 7:01
Ethan Iverson (piano);
Reid Anderson (bass);
Jorge Rossy (drums).
Deconstruction Zone (Standards)
Hotfile / Rapidshare @ 320K