Thursday, October 28, 2010

John Coltrane: The Stardust Session (1975)

This CD reissue consolidates a very good session by tenor saxophonist John Coltrane. Originally these eight standards (which include the title cut, "Invitation," "My Ideal," and "I'll Get By [As Long as I Have You]") were scattered on three separate LPs even though they all took place on the same day. With strong support from the rhythm section (pianist Red Garland, bassist Paul Chambers, and drummer Jimmy Cobb) and good solos from flьgelhornist Wilbur Harden, Coltrane is heard near the end of his "sheets of sound" period, perfecting his distinctive sound and taking colorful and aggressive solos. ~ Scott Yanow
Tracklist:
01. Spring Is Here (Hart, Rodgers) 6:54
02. Invitation (Kaper, Webster) 10:20
03. I'm a Dreamer, Aren't We All? (Brown, DeSylva, Henderson) 7:01
04. Love Thy Neighbor (Gordon, Revel) 9:22
05. Don't Take Your Love from Me (Nemo) 9:13
06. My Ideal (Chase, Robin, Whiting) 7:32
07. Stardust (Carmichael, Parish) 10:41
08. I'll Get By (As Long as I Have You) (Ahlert, Turk) 8:09
Personnel:
John Coltrane (tenor saxophone);
Wilbur Harden (trumpet, flugelhorn);
Red Garland (piano);
Paul Chambers (bass);
Jimmy Cobb (drums)
Stardust Sessions
Hotfile / Rapidshare @ 320K